The Other Conways
The name Conway has doubtless been used
by many commercial vessels over the years. We are aware of the following:
Vessels Named Conway
- 1870 RMS Conway was a wooden passenger paddle steamer.
Built by William Pitcher of Northfleet and launched on 19 November
1846. Gt 895; 215' x 35' x 16'; oscillating 2-cyl engines, 9 kn; passengers,
40. Single funnel. Maiden voyage Southampton-West Indies 11 April
1847. She was refit and re-engined in 1862. The original two small
funnels were replaced with one large funnel and feather paddles installed.
On 20 Oct 1867, she was grounded during the great St. Thomas hurricane,
and her masts and funnel blown off the ship. She was scrapped in June
1870. She was the subject of a Belize Stamp - #770 (1985) $3.
In 1904 launched a new RMS Conway (Conway cadets served on this vessel).She was 2,627 gross
tons and steel built by Armstrong, Whitworth, Newcastle. She was scrapped
1851 – 1875 a clipper
ship named Conway was built by Owens and Duncan at Portland, St John,
New Brunswick, Canada using Hackmatac, Pine, Oak & Birch, with notice in the local paper on the launching
(Notice of Registration is held in the Archives of Canada). She
was Ship rigged; sheathed in felt and yellow metal in 1853; partly
fastened with iron bolts. Her tonnage was 1,195 tons using old
measurements and 1,148 tons using new measurements
are not completely documented but:
- At least one trans-Atlantic trip from
Gourock in 1852, with story of passenger written in 1914, accurately
describing the ship leaving Gourock Bay on 8th May 1852 (John Paton
- Sold to James Baines in April 1853
and was registered in Liverpool. She went from Liverpool to Quebec leaving in April and was back
in Liverpool in October 1853;
- From 1854 she started carrying emigrants
to Australia and these seem to have continued through the 1860s.
Some Australian records mistakenly refer to this vessel as HMS Conway.
- There was an infamous trip to Australia
in 1854, the first of five trips that have been ascertained;
- October 1855 arrived Hobart Town;
- 31 December 1856 arrived Sydney Town
and returned to the UK via Bombay. Her master was Capt J Liston.
- September 1858 she was in Port Philip
Bay, Melbourne - two diaries of this journey have been transcribed,
those of Annie Gratton and Fanny Davis.
- In 1860 a trip to India was started
with the family and wives of troops in the Crimea, but the ship
hit a storm in the Atlantic, about 200 miles from Madeira. She was
dismasted and then abandoned. The following day as she was being
stripped, another Captain (of the vessel Home - name may have been
Spence) with some of his crew persuaded those who were doing this
to allow them to salvage the vessel. They set up a jury rig, and
sailed to Barbados, taking six weeks. They had the ship repaired,
sailed her up to New York and then returned across the Atlantic;
- There is an indication of the Conway
sailing from New York early in 1861 for London. She arrived August
1861 in London from New York with Captain Groves.
- In 1861 she left Liverpool (where
the first HMS Conway was then moored) for India carrying soldiers
and their families.
- There is mention in 1862 of the ship
belonging to the de Passe White Horse Line on the trip to Brisbane.
- In December 1862 she was in Moreton
Bay, Queensland, departing in February 1863.
- In 1872 she was in Bristol and sold
to Henry Randall James.
- She was abandoned at sea in 1875 at Latitude
45N and Longitude 44W, with her crew being rescued by the German barque,
you are able to offer any additional information, particularly of a
picture, sketch or drawing of this sailing ship, Conway please send
details to Harley Stanton at the following email: HarleyStanton@bigpond.com
Harley Stanton has been collecting information on this ship for 10
years and is keen to conclude a book within the next two years. If you
wish to write please send information to: Harley Stanton, 9 Pinetree
Avenue, Grindelwald, Tasmania 7277, Australia.
William Conway, quartermaster, of Camden,
Maine, refused to haul down his country's flag at the surrender of
Pensacola Navy Yard to the rebels 12 January 1861. For his patriotic
action he was presented a gold medal by citizens of California and
in 1906 a memorial plaque was unveiled at his home in Camden in grateful
recognition of his heroic loyalty.The US navy named two ships in his
USS Conway (DD-70) ex
Graven, a US Navy destroyer was one of the fifth group of ships involved
in the destroyers-for-bases agreement was turned over to Royal Navy
crews at Halifax, Nova Scotia on 23 October 1940. She was renamed
HMS Lewes. Commissioned in the Royal Navy 23rd October 1940, but did
not enter service until February 1942 as a consequence of the need
for extensive refit. This was not helped by being bombed while in
Devonport harbour in April 1941. She was scuttled on 25th May 1946
USS Conway II (DD 507)
Her keel was laid 5 November 1941 and launched 16 August 1942 by Bath
Iron Works, Bath, Maine. This Conway saw action in WW2, Korea, Vietnam
and participated, as a recovery ship, in the "Apollo" space
program. She never lost a man to the enemy. On 15 November 1969, Conway
was stricken from the register of ships. She was sunk as a target
with 5" gunfire by USS Henley (DD-762) 26 June 1970. She was
a valiant ship. Her proud record of service in three wars was one
to be envied by others who followed. Conway's honoured grave is 149.5
nautical miles due east of the entrance to Chesapeake Bay in 10,210
feet of water.
Vessels Named Conway Castle
HMS Conway Castle (54 tons) was a hired vessel called an Irish Gun
Vessel. Details are very sparse but it seems she was hired for use
against the French.
1939-45: HMS Conway Castle was
minesweeping trawler attached in 1940 to the Orkney & Shetland
command. Her Pennant Number was FY 509. She was built by Smiths Dock
Co., Ltd. (South Bank-on-Tees, U.K.), displacement: 274 tons.and
launched on 4 Feb1916. She was taken over by the Admiralty in August
1939. and fitted with a 6pdr gun. Her role is not known but trawlers
were often used in mine laying/clearing duties. Returned to her owner
in October 1945.
R. Thomas & Co of Criccieth and Liverpool
barque, described for some reason as a "British Barge'. She was 1581
tons, built in 1893 at Sunderland. She was at sea in April 1893
(traveling from Sunderland to Valparaėso. She was German cruiser
Dresden off the island of Juan Fernāndez (Robinson Crusoe), in February
River Dart Steamboat Company
Conway Castle was launched in 1963 to carry holiday makers on the River
Dart. In 1977 she was sold to Severn Leisure Cruises for use on the
River Severn based from Upton on Severn. She was still in service in
Conway Castle was one of their Castle fleet. She was built in 187 7by
Robert Napier & Sons at Glasgow with a tonnage of 2966grt, a length
of 349ft, a beam of 39ft 4in and a service speed of 12 knots. Similar
to the Warwick Castle but with a different profile she was delivered
for the mail service in September 1877. She became an Intermediate
steamer in 1883 and on 10th May 1893 ran aground at Vatoumandry, 50
miles south of Tamatave in Madagasgar. On the following day she was
abandoned and became a total loss.
Back to top